Ingleside is believed to have been started before the Civil War but not completed until after the surrender at Appomattox. It was the home, for a while, of Thomas Perkins, whose daughter, Parke Perkins, was crowned “Queen of Love and Beauty” at the Philadelphia Centennial in Philadelphia in 1876. Miss Perkins married William Bently and moved to Pulaski City. Mr. Charlie D. Agee rented the property from her paying $40.00 yearly rent. He later bought it paying $800.00 for it. Mr. Agee also purchased a cow giving $5.00 down and $11.00 “when the wheat harvest comes in.”
When Mr. Agee bought the property he moved his family from Slate River Mills where he had operated a store. His wife continued to operate the store and was the first postmistress at Alcoma post office which she operated in connection with the store. Mr. Agee farmed and “filled” ice houses, an occupation which exists only in memory today.
The house is on a high hill overlooking much of Buckingham County. It is of white batten-board construction with the eaves and gables decorated with scrimshaw. This decorative work was at one time also on a railing around the porches. The windows are unusual since they extend from floor to ceiling. Boxwood, magnolia and holly trees shade the yard but do not prevent one from getting a spectacular view of the countryside.
(The above text was excerpted from The Courthouse Burned by Margaret A. Pennington and Lorna S. Scott, McClung Printing, Waynesboro, VA, 1986.)
Read personal life histories (collected in 1939-1940) from several members of the Agee family who lived at Ingleside in the late 19th and early 20th centuries:
Virgie Garrett Agee (Wife of Charlie Agee)
Willie Agee (Virgie’s son)
Alma Agee (Virgie’s daughter)
Roy Jones (Virgie’s son-in-law)
Arthur Garrett (Virgie’s brother)
Several members of the Agee and Garrett families are buried in the Ingleside cemetery.